1. Tree Pose
Strengthens: Quads, Glutes, Hamstrings; Improves Balance
* Stand with feet together, palms together in front of chest.
* Place sole of right foot on left inner thigh, as high as you are able; turn right knee out to side.
* Keep hands in front (easier) or extend arms overhead, keeping palms together (more challenging).
* Bend left knee slightly to work quads.
* Hold for 7 to 10 breaths.
* Go directly to Single Leg Circle.
2. Single Leg Circle
Strengthens: Glutes, Hamstrings, Inner Thighs; Improves Balance
* Remaining on left leg from tree pose, straighten right leg and bring it out in front of you, toes pointed toward floor.
* Drawing abs in, make 1 large circle clockwise with your right foot, keeping hips still; exhale 1 full breath to draw the circle.
* Keep hands on hips (easier) or arms extended overhead (more challenging).
* Reverse direction, drawing a counterclockwise circle.
* Do 7 to 10 reps per direction.
* Go directly to Rooster Stands on One Leg.
3. Rooster Stands on One Leg
Strengthens: Glutes, Quads, Hamstrings, Shoulders; Stretches Back
* Remaining on left leg, bring right leg in front of body, knee bent 90 degrees and thigh parallel to floor.
* Slowly bend left knee in a half squat, keeping weight over heel.
* As you squat down, bring arms down in front, then out to sides and back above head as you straighten leg.
* To make it easier, don't squat down as deeply and keep your right foot closer to floor.
* Do 7 to 10 reps.
* Repeat the entire series, starting from Tree Pose, on opposite leg.