This article can be found archived in the October issue of DETAILS magazine with Daniel Radcliffe on the cover.
1. Style isn’t about money. One of the nicest outfits on a man is a pair of jeans, some old, messed-up boots, a simple white tee, and a vintage leather belt. You don’t have to spend a lot. It’s about mixing and matching and getting things that fit properly.
2. Men who wear skinny jeans won’t be wearing my jeans. I don’t think jeans should be tight around their bollocks. I don’t want to see that part of a guy’s anatomy all squashed in.
3. What to wear on a first date is a tricky one. You don’t want to be too dressed up or not dressed up enough. It totally depends where you’re going. Wear something you’re comfortable in, because you’re going to be slightly nervous.
4. I don’t mind a vintage T-shirt with a logo on it that’s tongue-in-cheek. But if a man were to just have a huge logo on his chest, no. I think that’s very unattractive.
5. It’s romantic when a guy makes an effort. For our anniversary recently, David had all these beautiful flowers placed in our garden and he had someone come in and cook and he had nice music playing. We put the kids to bed and then we spent the night together, just talking in front of the fire.
6. Boys don’t have nearly as much fun with fashion as girls do.
7. I think a man always has to look clean, to start. And obviously he has to smell nice. Grooming is really important.
8. You have to be very careful when you start dyeing your hair. I can’t bear it when men start to lose their hair color and they give it a rinse—blue, black, purple.
9. I really don’t like it when guys wear tight tops—like those cycling-looking, Lance Armstrong-inspired ones—trying to show off muscles and the fact that they’ve been at the gym a lot.
10. It’s cool for a woman to look like she cares, but I don’t think it’s as cool for a man to look like he’s spent hours in front of the mirror. A man that doesn’t try too hard to look good is sexy.