Friday, August 1, 2008

Women, Enough with the Tween Lingo

by C. Brooks
Style and Focus Lifestyle PR

I might take some hits for saying this but I'm so tired of seeing and hearing women in their 20's and 30's talking like tween and teenagers. It's time for women to grow up.

There is nothing wrong with having a youthful spirit, I have one, but we shouldn't have to talk like an adolescent, especially during work. There is just something kind of odd when you see women in their 20's, 30's and even 40's still talking as well as acting like junior high students.

For instance, yesterday, I had the unfortunate chance of speaking with a PR rep at an event and she couldn't get one sentence out without saying OMG or some other juvenile lingo. I couldn't take her seriously. I know the product's good, I'll just call and get a press kit mailed out to me. It's okay to act your age and be a grown-up while still being playful.

With youth being pushed everywhere, be it in fashion, beauty and especially Hollywood I guess some women want to act like the most coveted thing around. Perhaps it just a phase that going around hopefully it doesn't stick around too long. This kind of reminds me of an episode of "Sex and the City" where Carrie poised the question: "Are we thirty-four going on thirteen?"

I talked with some of my guy friends and they say they are having a hard time finding "women" to date. One of my best friends, Conner says he thought he spotted his dream girl until she spoke and realized that she's still speaking in acronyms in her late 20's, a complete turn-off, not being able to have a conversation without decoding their speech.

Some of the most popular shows with women in their 20's and 30's are surprisingly (or not so surprisingly) are: MTV's The Hills, Gossip Girl, and entertainment news shows.

If you've ever seen an old movie (something you might see on TCM) starring Lauren Bacall, Myrna Loy, Dorothy Dandridge, Sophia Loren, Audrey Hepburn, Leslie Caron, Rosalind Russell, and Marilyn Monroe, you will note that their characters were highly sought after and desired, for being glamorous, strong, feminine, sexy, sophisticated, intelligent women who embraced their 20's and 30's and did not dumb down to attract men.

Let's leave the tween/teen behavior and speech to the tweens and teens.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!

I couldn't agree with you more. I live in California near Los Angeles and the women out here can't seem to grow up.

I'm only 23 but I feel like shaking my head everytime I see a 20 or 30 something woman dressing and acting like a teen. For some reason they must think guys like that kind of stuff or maybe they are just avoiding reality by not trying to grow up.

I am so over gossip girl and the hills (which is so far from reality) both shows are full of crap.

Anonymous said...

With so many delaying adulthood (working, marriage, children) they are choosing to act like spoiled immature children themselves.

I have never seen so many men as well as women who act like complete children. The media makes such a big deal of the latest young celebrity that they make being a grown-up embarrassing to them.

But it's just down right embarrassing to be around them. As a 33 year-old, married, working mother of two, I hope my little girls know that growing up shouldn't be something to be afraid of.