Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Are You Taking a Hiatus from TV?

Something, I'm sure the big executives dealing with the writer's strike probably didn't take into account that some viewers are finding other things to do besides turning on the television. I was talking with a couple of friends of mine and most of them stated that instead of just coming home and vegging out in front of the television they are instead going out to see a movie, meeting friends for dinner, or just sitting down to just relax at a nightclub or bar with friends. Pretty much everything else besides watching TV. However, there still are a large number of people tuning in to watch TV especially reality shows, sports and PBS.

As for me, sometimes, I don't even turn on the TV unless it's for an episode I really want to see. Like my friends, I have been filling my time with reading books, watching a few DVD movies that I've bought but have not had any time to watch, meeting up with friends, etc. I never quite realized how many hours a week I was actually spending watching TV until I turned it off. It's nice to have those extra hours.

Perhaps the executives didn't realize that without new episodes of our favorite shows, some viewers were not going to even bother watching TV. Even though I don't watch a lot of TV, I think I may have changed my TV habit. Honestly, I'm not sure if I will go back to watching a lot of TV once the strike is over.

Hopefully, the writer's strike will be settled with a fair agreement for both sides very soon. I do feel bad for all the people who are out of work and I hope they can get back to doing what they love to do.


Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

No comments: