Friday, April 13, 2007

The Smart and Talented, Danica McKellar


I had read a news article about Danica McKellar (one of my favorite actresses) last year, and I wanted to write about it.

Former Wonder Years actress Danica McKellar is writing a book called "Math Doesn't Suck" to help encourage girls to stay involved with math. In 2007, Hudson Street Press will publish her forthcoming book. They call it a groundbreaking book that will use hip and entertaining examples to teach middle-school girls and their parents how to master many of the tough concepts that are introduced in middle school, which is the time when young girls begin to shy away from math. The book will be in bookstores August 2007.

Since, "The Wonder Years", Danica has starred in "The West Wing", "NCSI", "Law & Order" and "Eve". She also has her own series called “Inspector Mom” that includes two movies on Lifetime and bi-weekly webisodes on Lifetime Movie Network.tv.
Some of her upcoming 2007 projects are: releasing a new yoga and meditation DVD "Daily Dose of Dharma," voice work for "Random! Cartoon's: Girls on the Go" and "Bongee Bear and the Kingdom of Rhythm". She also will be in the upcoming film "Hack!".

You're probably thinking how can she write a math book. Well, Danica earned a Bachelors of Science in Mathematics from UCLA. She also published a paper in Britain's "Journal of Physics A: Mathematics & General" with UCLA professor Lincoln Chayes and student Brandy Winn which provided a mathematical proof for a theorem dealing with magnetism in two dimensions.
The following quotes are from a newspaper article:
"Parents and kids alike are taught to be afraid of math,” explains McKellar. “From Mattel’s Barbie doll who once said, ‘Math is hard,’ to the proliferation of the nerdy stereotypical scientist in movies and TV, many girls grow up thinking that math is something they should be afraid of, something ‘other people do.’ I want to eradicate these stereotypes and make math fun and accessible, to young girls and everyone else."

I have had my share of run-ins with not fitting the “stereotype” of a scientifically-minded young woman. Every day, people approach me, and recognize me for my portrayal of the character “Winnie Cooper” on the television series “The Wonder Years.” And every day people ask me what I am doing now. When I tell them I took a break from acting in order to attend college, they inevitably ask what my major was. When I tell them “math”… Mouths drop open…mixed with stares of horror and confusion… usually followed by looks of intrigue and newfound respect, but always the incredulous, “Why…?” They were not expecting that to come from me, since I do not fit among the ever popular stereotypical images of math nerds. (At least that’s what I like to think.)

Even more telling, was an experience I had in the 9th grade. After our first test, my science teacher pulled me aside and expressed surprise at my high score, exclaiming how unexpected it was that I would be a good student in science. “You just seem so outgoing and you wear such brightly colored earrings… I just didn’t think you would be very smart.” All based on appearances, the teacher was judging me according to the stereotypes that are so deeply ingrained in our society: the socially inept, nerdy looking guy who doesn’t care about fashion. Here’s the most interesting part. The teacher was a woman.
----------------------------------
My two cent: Math and Science are great. I always liked both and I feel like so many girls think it's cool to be ditzy and they don't develop their math, science, english and all the other skills that they will need to succeed in life. They don't realize that they can still like fashion and like math too. I remember when I was in high school and I was taking calculus and physics and I had a female teacher ask me why was I taking those classes. I always hear people say "math is hard" only if you think of it that way. If you practice it and work on it you can get better. First learn the basics then build on those just like everything else in life. No ones going to be the best at everything but why give up before you even tried.

I even knew people in college that would say oh don't take that prof they're too hard don't you want an easy A. Nothing in life is really easy because you take a class where you don't learn anything just to get an A. However when you go on to the next class, you don't know anything. Then you have to play catch up the entire semester trying to learn things you should of learned the first time had you not taken the easy professor. Just my educational comments.

I also find it hard to believe that she is not being offered more TV and movie roles. She's a smart and talented actress.


Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

No comments: